Showing Collections: 1 - 7 of 7
Overview This collection consists of a brief narrative and two diaries from 1862 to 1865 written by a resident of Whitehall, Washington County, New York while enlisted with the 104th NY Volunteer Infantry during the Civil War. The narrative and diary entries detail regimental movements, battles, living conditions as a prisoner of war, camp life, prices of clothing and sundries, and the weather. This collection has been digitized and is accessible from the ...
Dates: 1862 - 1865
Overview Diary of Frank W. Eldredge (1849 - 1912) kept while attending Eagleswood Military Academy in Perth Amboy, New Jersey in 1863 and 1864, with a single entry from 1866. The diary was kept in an old ledger book, and not sequentially. From the front of the book, the entries are as follows: April 16 - May 5, 1864; September 15, 1864; July 3, 1866; November 8, 1864; February 26, 1863; September 27 - October 18, 1863; February 13 - 22 1863. Eldredge's diary entries document the weather and his daily...
Dates: 1863 - 1866
Overview This collection includes two diaries kept by Dr. Edward Irving Ford (1825 - 1908) of Binghamton, Broome County, New York, for the years 1863 and 1866. The 1863 diary records Ford's activities in Binghamton and then his service as an army surgeon in various locations. The 1866 diary records his final month in hospital service, his journey back to Binghamton and various other travels, and his purchase of a drug store in Binghamton.
Dates: 1863 - 1866
Overview This collection includes correspondence, photographs, business and local history research files, maps and other materials of Josiah T. Newcomb (1911 - 1981), director of the Binghamton University Library from 1953 to 1971 and Broome County Historian.
Dates: 1926 - 1984
Overview This collection includes the diaries of James Bostwick Robinson (1840 - 1912) for the years 1860, 1862, 1863, 1864, 1865, and 1866, as well as a later, undated autograph book. The diaries cover much of Robinson's service in the 85th New York Volunteers. He discusses army life in some detail, including his time in Andersonville Prison in Georgia beginning in April 1864. Robinson frequently mentions his health problems, and at the end of each diary records his spending in detail. At the end of...
Dates: 1860 - 1866 and undated
Overview The diary of Hiram L. Slaght (1829 - 1910) of Seneca County, New York from January 11 to November 5, 1864, covering his period of service in Company M, 50th New York Volunteer Engineers.
Overview In August, 1862 Fred Walster (1842 - 1870) of Fort Plain, Montgomery County, New York enlisted as a member of Company E of the 153rd Regiment New York Volunteer Infantry during the Civil War. This collection consists of one diary from 1865 documenting Walster’s military experiences, hospitalization, and return to civilian life. The diary has been digitized and is accessible from the New York Heritage Digital...
- Military 6
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865 6
- Account books (financial records) 2
- Banks and banking 2
- Binghamton (N.Y.) 2
- Academic librarians 1
- Academic libraries 1
- Andersonville Prison 1
- Audiotapes (sound recordings) 1
- Broome County (N.Y.) 1
- Certificates (documents) 1
- Clippings (information artifacts) 1
- Copies (derivative objects) 1
- Eagleswood Military Academy (N.J.) 1
- Eulogies (documents) 1
- Geological maps 1
- History 1
- Inventions 1
- Inventors -- United States 1
- Ledgers (account books) 1
- Librarians 1
- Libraries 1
- Maps 1
- Massachusetts Bay Company 1
- Medicine 1
- Model (concept) 1
- Negatives (photographic) 1
- Notebooks 1
- Photographs 1
- Political science 1
- Postcards 1
- Slides (photographs) 1
- State University of New York at Binghamton 1
- Travel 1
- United States. Army. Colored Infantry Regiment, 101st (1864-1866) 1
- United States. Army. New York Engineer Regiment, 50th (1861-1865) 1
- United States. Army. New York Infantry Regiment, 104th (1862-1865) 1
- United States. Army. New York Infantry Regiment, 153rd (1862-1865) 1
- United States. Army. New York Infantry Regiment, 85th (1861-1865) 1 ∧ less
- Casey, Patrick, 1829-1914 1
- Eldredge, Frank W., 1849-1912 1
- Ford, Edward Irving, 1825-1908 1
- G. S. Robbins & Son 1
- McHugh, John M., 1948- 1