Skip to main content

Daniel S. Dickinson Statue papers

 Collection
Identifier: BUSC-1979-001

Overview

This collection documents the 1922 - 1924 process of commissioning, constructing, and installing a statue of Daniel S. Dickinson in front of the Broome County Court House in Binghamton, New York. The correspondence is primarily between architect John H. Duncan, sculptor Allen G. Newman, and Charles F. Tupper, on behalf of the Exempt Firemen's Assocation. Also included are Charles Monroe Dickinson's speech given at the dedication ceremony, and newspaper clippings and photographs relating to the installation of the statue. One 1850 letter from Daniel S. Dickinson to Daniel Webster is also included.

Dates

  • 1922 - 1924

Biographical Note

John Hemingway Duncan (January 21, 1854 - October 18, 1929) was an American architect known for his designs of Ulysses S. Grant's tomb in New York City, the Soldiers' and Sailors' Memorial Arch in Brooklyn, and of various hotels, mansions, and estates. His architectural records and papers are held in the Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library at Columbia University.

Allen George Newman III (August 28, 1875 - February 2, 1940) was a New York-based sculptor, best known for his statue "The Hiker," first installed at the North Burial Ground in Providence, Rhode Island. He is also well known for "The Triumph of Peace," in Atlanta, Georgia, and for four war memorials in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

Daniel Stevens Dickinson (September 11, 1800 - April 12, 1866) was a New York politician and lawyer, largely based in Binghamton, New York. He served as the first president of Binghamton in 1834, and subsequently as a member of the New York state senate (1837 - 1840); New York lieutenant governor (1842 - 1844); United States senator (1844 - 1851); New York attorney general (1862 - 1863); United States attorney for the Southern District of New York (1865 - 1866). He was a Democratic elector and convention delegate numerous times, and was considered as a possible vice-presidential candidate for Abraham Lincoln in 1864. The statue of him at the Broome County Court House was dedicated on May 30, 1924. Major collections pertaining to Dickinson are held at the Broome County Historical Society and at the Newberry Library.

Extent

.5 Linear Feet

Language of Materials

English

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Purchase, September 1979.
Title
Guide to the Daniel S. Dickinson Statue papers
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Binghamton University Libraries Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Binghamton NY 13902 USA